Thursday, June 4, 2009

XLT Trial 2


I took the XLT out again, this time for my typical night hunt. I drove out to my mom's old elementary school off of Great Neck, a place where I've found a bunch of coins, none older than '65, and some silver jewelry pieces.


I still have a lot of ground to cover at this school, but I figure to really measure up, I'd go over some previously hunted territory to see what might come up. It was a warm night out, the ground was hard... not the best veriables to be dealing with.


I was able to squeak out $1.31 over 14 coins, but I KNOW there has got to at least be some older dimes and some wheat pennies in this place. I have yet to dig one from this area, which is just dumbfounding.


I was able to get some more use outta the XLT which is what the trip was really all about. The signals are much harder to read than they are on the X-Terra 30. For example, on the X30, when I get a +16, I know almost without a doubt that it's gonna be a pull-tab. Or if I get a solid +32 with 3 depth bars, I can almost bet on a wheat penny every time. But with the XLT, items hit within a "range" of numbers, so it's much harder to determine. Getting the depth while pinpointing helps a bit, but when a pull tab is hitting over a 10-20 VDI range, it's really tough to pick out the nickels.

No comments: