Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day Loot


What a great day for a hunt! Temperature in the 80's, nice cool breeze, overcast... perfect!



As many of you who read my blog know by now, on most holidays that I'm not on the boat, I spend at the g/f's parent's... today being no different. And every time I go over, the metal detector comes along. The last time out was two weeks ago to the day, I scored 9 wheats. I always find something neat here, be it rings, old coins, buttons... something.


Today, we arrive and the first thing I do before the cookout is crank up the XLT with my self made coin program and start working an area of the yard I've never touched. That was the smartest thing I did all day. Within the next thirty minutes I pulled a 10K ring and 2 rosies! My first of each The ring is marked UNCAS 10K G.F. which I know is "gold filled"... but still gold right? A little research hints to the makers mark as being a vintage jeweler from the 50's. So perhaps this ring has been buried for some time, as it was as deep as the length of the Lesche blade.






After eating the great food I grilled (burgers, dogs, and chicken), and the sweet pasta salad, I headed back out front just to go over all the area I've hit time and time again. And what do you know, I landed 9 more wheats and another rosie that I called from the signal. Our friend John had just come over when I got the signal and I told him, "I'm betting it's a silver dime." Sure enough, 5" down there she was glimmering back. He was pretty amazed at how I knew it before I dug it.




After pulling 20+ wheats from this yard over 4 or 5 hunts I knew there had to be some silver somewhere. Glad I finally tracked it down! Nearly all of the wheats and definitely all the rosies today were 5+" down.


Another great holiday spent digging. Ended up with 32 coins @ $1.34. The Rosie's are '50-D, '53-D, and a '56.




No comments: