Monday, June 15, 2009

Weekly World Coin Post: ICELAND



This week I'm highlighting one of the most backwards named countries in teh world, Iceland. I'm saying so because as they say, "Iceland is green and Greenland is ice, so what gives?"


I'm lucky enough to have known quite a few people from Iceland, a couple who live there currently. My buddy Chris Shaddock who I served in Iraq with now lives in Iceland with his wife. Another guy, of the handle Siggi Palma over at FMDF resides there and is a frequent contributor. Knowing he's a nice fellow I'm sure he won't mind me borrowing some pics he took on a recent MD trip to help someone find a lost tractor part.






But anyhow, on to the coins. Though recently devalued drastically, the small island nation of Iceland uses the Icelandic Krona. At current rates, $1 USD in equivalent to roughly 159 Icelandic Kronurs. For more information on this nordic currency, please click HERE.


100 Aurar = 1 Krona


TOP ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT, BOTH PICS:


1958 10 Aurar Copper-Nickel 14.98mm
1951 25 Aurar Copper-Nickel 16.06mm
1974 50 Aurar Nickel-Brass 19.04mm
1999 Krona Nickel Coated Steel 19.79mm


On the 1999 Krona coin, the reverse is a picture of a cod fish, a food staple. But on the obverse, I can only find reference to "Giant", but no specifics on actually what he represents. Perhaps a "Bergrisi", or mountain giant of Norse legend? If anyone knows, please comment!

No comments: