Monday, April 27, 2009

Weekly World Coin Post: AUSTRALIA



The last Monday in April marks the week for me to highlight Australian coin. I have but a handful of different coins from this island continent, so this shouldn't take long.


I work out on the boat with a gentleman from Queensland, Australia... who just so happens used to be a pretty active coin collector. He hasn't brought me any, I've acquired them other ways, but listening to his stories as a young boy back in the 40s, and collecting coins is always a good time. I got first hand account from him of the year 1967 when the country left the English system, and welcomed in the decimal coinage. For more info on this, and other Aussie Dollar facts, please click HERE.


You'll notice in the images I included my one and only coin from New Zealand, being that the Kiwi's are so similar to the Aussie's, I threw it in :) A side note is that NZ changed to decimal coinage the same year. Oh, and 1 AUD is equivalent to roughly $0.72 USD as of today.


TOP ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT:


1967 1 Cent Bronze 17.5mm | Silver Fern
1967 2 Cents Bronze 21.6mm | Frilled Lizard
1967 2 Cents Bronze 21.6mm
1971 10 Cents Copper-Nickel 23.6mm | Lyre Bird


BOTTOM ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT:


1977 20 Cents Copper-Nickel 28.5mm | Duckbill Platypus
1971 50 Cents Copper-Nickel 31.5mm | Coat of Arms
1988 2 Dollars Aluminum-Bronze 20.62mm | Aborigine


Learning about the reverse of the coins was like watching the Discovery Channel, very interesting. All of the obverse images are of Queen Elizabeth II.

1 comment:

ceadams said...

hey Jimmy...you know the crimland play coin you found...my father and i have a pretty abused one. i was wondering if you could tell us what the back looks like and any other info you have on the coin...it would be appreciated if you could email the info to ceadams_91@yahoo.com thanks!