Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Candl Coins & Stamps

This morning before I headed out to the gym, I did a quick Google search for local coin stores. The first one mentioned was closest, and from patron reviews seemed like the go to place. I gave a quick call to see if they carried Air-Tite holders for coins, of which the voice on the other end politely said they did, all sizes.


With that in mind, I headed out to Landstown to go to the gym. Forty-five minutes later I was turning right on S. Independence from Princess Anne, headed towards Pembroke. And what do you know, the place was right where it said it would be.


I've never been in a store that specialized in coins and stamps, however they also are into sports cards... and well, back in the early 90's, I was a sports card fiend, so I figured I would feel comfortable in the place. And I was right. The place is larger than the outside leads you to believe, about the size of your average 7-11 on the inside. I was greeted warmly, and headed right to the coin supplies, just inside the door on the right wall. 99% of the other patrons appeared to be retired Navy (they always wear their hats with branch and boat, hehe), and they must have been regulars. They seemed to be hanging out talking politics with the shop owners rather than actually there to buy anything.


Anyway, so I got my 22 Air-Tite holders, paid, and was on my way. The staff seemed to be quite knowledgeable (the owner was on the phone seeing if he could get rolls of Puerto Rico quarters for someone) and they seemed to have all sorts of goodies I wish I could get my hands on. Staff was friendly, and I can't wait to get back there sometime next week!


Here's a pic of a portion of my collection now in Air-Tite holders. Click on the image to view it much larger to ID the coins.


1858 Flying Eagle Cent
1906 IH
1943 Steel Cent
1864 Two Cent
1866 Two Cent
1853 LC
1834 Half Cent
1873 Shield Nickel
1868 Shield Nickel
1875 Shield Nickel
1853 Seated Quarter
1914 Barber Quarter
1927 SLQ
1979 SBA
1979 SBA
2000 Sac
2008 GW
1924 Peace Dollar
1923 Peace Dollar
1974 Ike Dollar
1976 Ike BICEN Dollar



Candl Coins & Stamps
536 Independence Blvd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
757-499-5156

No comments: