Monday, April 6, 2009

Back in the swing of things, Tallwood


Compared to the weather yesterday, today was like the skies threw up all over the place. Thankfully, come the afternoon, it had dried up. All afternoon I was wondering what to do with myself, bring bored and all with nothing to do. I made a nice BBQ Grilled Chicken Salad, loaded up the dishwasher and decided to hit up my trusty school in my backyard to make up a bit for the lack of finds the day before.


For the first time I decided to do some custom notching out of certain things on my X-Terra 30. Never did it before, just ran with it. But after today, I think I'll keep it this way.


I started out in the back corner of the field behind the school where there is a drain. There are three drains like it, and the 150ft between each one end up like a ditch where coins and other things love to hide. I've found hundreds of memorials here, along with the occasional something else. Today wasn't much different.


Yesterday, while out with Hollis, he landed that sweet Bulldog charm. We threw it under my machine to see how it would ring up: +20/+24. That gave me an idea to notch out -4 though +8, then +16, and +28. Everything else I'd dig.


I was quite happy with the results. 31 coins netting $1.10, in an area where I feel I've pretty much found all the coins there are to be found. The trash was there, but I didn't dig anywhere near what I did the day before. In the picture you'll see my keepers for the night. A WeBeLoS (We'll Be Loyal Scouts) neckerchief clasp, a metal Life Saver (yes, the candy), a Virginia Beach Public Schools fitness award pin, an ornate, but trash fan jewelry item... and then my first ring for 2009. It has an Indian on the front, no writing and no markings on the back. I'm sure it's trash because the ring part is very crude. But hey, a ring is a ring.

No comments: