Sunday, April 5, 2009

Back to the Old School, With a Friend


What a beautiful day to be out in southern Hampton Roads! The day started pretty early for me. I got up at 6:15am, packed up all the essentials and drove out to Landstown to hit up the gym for an hour or so, stopping to pick up batteries for the machine just in case. By around 9:30am I was done and pulling into the parking lot of Creed's Elementary.


For those of you not from the area, Creed's I way out of the way for most people living here. It's a good 45 minute drive from most anywhere in Hampton Roads, unless you live there. Here's an areal of the place. (Click to view larger)



So anyhow. I got up there a little early, my buddy Hollis Rich from Portsmouth was meeting me there at 10am. The middle portion of the school is the oldest, judging from pictures. So I decided behind the middle portion of the building would be a good place to start. Sadly, other than a buttload of trash, the only thing I found in that area was a 1988 Quarter.


I walked back to discard a lot of the trash items when I saw Hollis had shown up and was headed my way. We exchanged greetings and got to it. We were both landing lots of trash, with Hollis beating me out in the clad category.


About an hour in we had made it towards the area where I found the Wheatie and the buried desk the last time I visited the place. Only a few minutes in Hollis scored a wheat. Sweet, we felt that area might be the place to get the older stuff. About 15 minutes later he hollers over for me to take a look at what he just found. It was a gold looking bulldog medallion that rang up between a nickel and foil. I probably wouldn't have dug the signal, and he said he almost didn't either, but gave it a shot... sure paid off! A few minutes later I landed my only old coin for the day, a '44 Wheatie.


We met over at a trash can to dump out all our trash. Lots of can slaw and other random metal items all throughout. The largest one I found was beneath the tot lot, a large 4" x 4" 4-way electrical box. The rest of the day after that left me with a few more coins, one being a '65 Rosie... so close! And there was an infinite amount of aluminum cans giving us hope all over the place. But once those strong 4" deep signals started being 7" plus down, we knew better.


Around 1230p, we decided to give up for the day, as the Hampton Roads Vipers girls fast-pitch softball camp was taking over the entire field behind the school.


I'll leave you with the finds for the day.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Certainly enjoyed the hunt and having a chance to meet you in person. Hope we get a chance to do it again soon.

Hollis