Monday, April 13, 2009

Weekly World Coin Post: GREECE



Welcome to another great weekly installment highlighting coins from around the world. This week, I bring to you my meager collection from Greece.


Sadly, I do not possess any of the nacient hammered Greek currency to share with you, only more modern Drachma. However, if you are curious about reading up on Ancient Greek Currecy, please click HERE.


The currency of Greece, though now ruled by the Euro, was previously known as the Drachma. I believe their monetary system of the 100 Lepta to 1 Drachma started back in the 1831, and was still in use up until 2002 when the Euro officially took over. I have never travelled to Greece, but I am hoping one day with my employment, I may get the opportunity to make it there. For more information on the Greek Drachma, please click HERE.


So on to the coins you see the reverse and obverse up above. These are the same coins in each image, so please follow along.


TOP ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT:


1962 1 Drachma Copper-Nickel 20.8mm | Paul I
1976 1 Drachma Nickel-Brass 21mm | Konstantinos Kanaris
1973 1 Drachma Nickel-Brass 21mm
1973 50 Lepta Copper-Nickel | Constantine II


BOTTOM ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT:


1976 20 Drachma Copper-Nickel 29mm | Pericles
1976 5 Drachma Copper-Nicke; 22.5mm | Aristotle
1976 2 Drachma Nickel-Brass 24mm | Georgios Karaiskakis


And friends, if you never have before, I emplore you to this time please visit the links provided for more information on the people depicted on the Greek currency. It's a history buff's field day, and really some interestingly superb reading.


Thanks again for enjoying another Weekly World Coin Post... until next week!

No comments: