Monday, April 13, 2009

Kempsville Elementary: First MERC!!!


Around 10p the itch hit me again tonight. In the past week or so I've driven past Kempsville Elementary quite a few times, noticing the nice tot lot and large field with tons of kids running around. I always thought to myself, that should be a great spot to hunt.


So naturally, it was my first stop tonight. I hit up the tot lot first thing and was thrown back at how much NOTHING was there. I only landed a nickel and a memorial penny out of the entire thing. Not even any trash.



Things weren't looking so well, but I stuck with it and started aimlessly walking towards the back, all throughout the field. Thankfully, I started landing some dime hits, as well as some memorials. I wasn't expecting too much, the school has only been around since 1961, but the potential for silver exists.


I saw a worn down area of grass that lead to a door on the back of the school and decided along it's edge would be a good spot. And what do you know, first signal is a sharp +36, which to me yells dime... but. It bounced up to +40 now and then, which to me and my detector hints at silver.


Not 3.5 inches down there she was shining back at me in the flashlight illumination, the beautiful Winged Liberty "Mercury" Dime. It's dated 1942, no mintmark, but still has some good detail on the torch on the reverse, which is nice.





It started to drizzle a bit so I left, but the night was a success overall. Scored over a dollar in clad, which always makes it feel worthwhile, and landed the sweet Merc. When I cleaned up my finds I also noticed this tag. It's stamped OKLAHOMA and on one side has a jar in a rose and says, "Tops in Ros..." The other side mentions tea. I know the state flower of Oklahoma is the Rose, and they have Rose Tea... maybe someone can ID it?



No comments: