Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Pull-Tab Retail

A recent post over at FMDF brought back a memory I had of seeing clothing made from our arch-nemesis... the pull-tab. So I decided to do a little research into the subject and see what I can find. You might be as surprised as I was to see all of this made from our subterranean enemy.


Many of you hate pull-tabs with a passion. I am one of them. So much so that I do everything possible to try and discriminate them out of my search pattern. But in the same respect, we all know that if you're digging pull-tabs, you're not missing any gold. So think about that the next time you skip a pull-tab signal on your machine... how much gold have you missed over the years?


Back to our subject. The post I mentioned earlier showed images of a pull-tab purse, and a pull-tab skirt. Genius really. What a great way to recycle these little guys, than by creating everyday items, or even fashions out of them?


This first item I'd like to share with you is something I could own myself. Stylish, sleek, and 100% recyclabe! It is called the A La Lata Chair, and is made by one Carlos Alberto Montana Hoyos of Brazil. The name itself is Spanish for "to the can." It's made using 1,739 aluminum can pull-tabs, as well as other recycled materials.



Next is the very stylish, very modern bracelet made by the fine folks at Save The World Designs. It consits of pull-tans laced with a variety of different colored leather. I know they are hand made, and if if they were half the price, I'd consider getting one as this year's personal "Green Contribution", 'cuz god knows that new 2010 Tundra 5.7L V8 that gets 13MPG sure isn't helping. If you like what you see, please click HERE for information on purchasing one.



Two months back I was in DC during Earth Day. They also has a Sustainable Design convention there on the National Mall. This next items are all womens hand bags made by Escama Studios out of San Francisco, and marketed through a site called re:Modern | Sustainable Modern Living. All pretty pricey, so you Gucci ladies might want to take notice. Again, the pull-tab makes a very sylish design medium here. They also have bracelets, necklaces, and cosmetic bags.





Lastly are a few items from a firm known as Da Lata, which is very similar to the the A La Lata company I spoke of before. Da Lata is Portuguese for "From the Can" and makes shirts, caps, purses and skirts all from aluminum pull-tabs. Here are a few examples of their stuff. I think their skullcaps are just awesome!



No comments: