Monday, August 17, 2009

Late Night in The Lane w/ BHID 300

Sunday evening I had arranged to spent a whole bunch of time at the beach. I had planned on meeting a FMDF fella who goes by Night Hawk down around 930a and catch low time roughly two hours later. Well that plan was busted when no one in the house was moving in time to make things happen... so I stayed with the lil one all day. Luckily, I had a back-up plan: 8pm meet up with Hollis, same spot.



I got down to the meeting spot about 745p, plenty of time to make it down there and figure the machine out in time for the hunt. Since I had a few minutes, I snapped the awesome twilight shot you see just above, as well as this fun snap of the BHID 300 resting against the sand castle at the beach entrance on 36th.



It was a truly great night to be down at the beach. About 77 degrees, the water was warm, and the beach was on its way to being empty for the night (though oddly enough when I left around 11p, there were still more people than I imagined still in the sand and in the water).



I fired up the BHID 300, ground balanced as best I could and started hunting. My first half hour I was hunting in AM, because for some reason after balancing, I forget to set the switch to discriminate. Either way, I still had found some clad and a bunch of bottle caps by the time Hollis showed up.


We had a brief conversation and went on our way. Happened to see another sand shark or two swinging away, Hollis chatted with them. I spent about 1/4 of the time in the water, hoping to land something great. I don't have the knowledge or experience in the element, so I felt pretty out of place. Not to mention the coil on the machine is super hard to keep down... you'd think the weight of the BHID would be enough, well its not. My first water find was a nice deep "green" signal, had to dig it. After my hole stopped getting refilled by the waves, I managed to get the target out. It felt really smooth, very similar to the way a silver coin feels fresh outta the dirt. Got my flashlight out and... awwww, a '65 quarter. Would have been great to land a silver coin at the beach.


As the tide was out, it opened up a small "cut", or dropoff that before was about knee deep. I hunted it for a bit and scored this sweet religious token. Definitely made my hunt for me, was just glad to not have only found clad and bottle caps.




I finished up the day, said goodbye to Hollis and went on my way for some 4th Meal at Taco Bell. Two and half hours of swinging the BHID is killer, sure works up an appetite. Here's the nut for the night. 25 coins @ $1.20.


No comments: