Monday, September 29, 2008

9/29 Glad Tidings Church


Around 8pm tonight I made it over to a church off of S. Newtown in Norfolk. It's one that can be seen from I-64 right before the I-264 exit. On the weekends this place is ridiculously packed with kids... both in the TLs and the surrounding field. SO naturally, it seemed like the place to be.

When I showed up it was dark, but within 15 minutes, the street lamp looking things came on, illuminating the area. I started with the much larger tot lot. And besides the craptacular amount of trash, I was getting nothing. As I was finishing up that area, three teenagers showed up. Two guys and a girl. One of the guys and the girl ascended into the large TL structure, probably sinning their pants off (haha) while the other guys just sat on the curb. Apparently three was a crowd.

While they did their thing I hovered over to the smaller tot lot, and started pulling some clad. This play area I knew had been here much longer than that new fangled large one. After a quarter and a few memorials I got a very solid penny reading, down 8". Well at 6" I found the target, and was pretty surprised. It was a metal beetle, or scarab if you will. The back had the tell tale stainless disc that always means a watch. In the dark I could tell this thing had hinges, so I was sure it opened. After a minute of examining, the two front "legs" act as levers to open the wings and display the time. Rather ingenious. Unfortunately the silver backing is the other precious part of it. It seems copper in color, but the outside flakes off leaving kind of a rusted mess under. It seems as though it was once very gold in color, as the area surrounding the clock and underneath the wings are very brilliantly gold. The face of the watch appears to have the name, "Collezio" and is stopped in the classic Simpson time of 3 o' clock.

A Google search shows that Collezio has been a watch mfg since 1983 and has many other styles than the classic wrist watch, including necklace and pocket watches. I would reckon this is one of those types. I haven't found this exact one anywhere as of yet... maybe some help?

After that find, and a couple of nickels later, I was at the swings... when a large white van with a trailer drove up on to the grass and around to a storage area. A guy came out and walked over. He just simple said, "Hey, finding anything?" I told him other than some pocket change, no. He said he didn't figure I'd find much in a children's playground, of which I told him he would be very surprised what one might find in these areas. He wished me a good night and went on his way.



Shortly after I packed up and left, with the sinners finally rejoining their buddy on the curb and leaving as well. I walked away with $0.65 across 9 coins and the pretty rad scarab watch.

No comments: