Thursday, September 25, 2008

9/25 City View Park


So as my local Virginians know, most of the day Thursday we spent with high winds and tons of rain. I was inside all day playing GTA 4, and all the mindless killing of authority figures on the behalf of Irish gangsters was getting to me.

So around 930p tonight there was a lull in the downpour, I strapped on my GorTex Matterhorn boots (watertight the whole 11" up AND made for sub freezing temps), a big puffy jacket, my X-Terra 30 got plastic wrap around the box, and my backpack o' goodies which included my new Lesche Digger I received on White's tab.

I decided to hit up the far end tot lot that is surrounded by softball fields on the backside of City View Park right behind my place. I've never had any luck at this park, the tot lots are always slim on the pickins... but I had never hit this one, so I figured maybe I'll get lucky.

I searched through the TL and found 99% of what you see pictured. And five of those memorials were in the same hole. I was getting ready to leave when I decided I'll swing behind a few of the bleachers. The bleachers are set on concrete, so I figured the grass behind them would be good. The first set, zilch. The next set nothing... until... I got a 40-44 hit and the X-Terra was reading between 6 and 8 inches. I wasn't gonna pass up a hit like that, even though it was deeper than I usually dig.

So I cut a plug the depth of the blade on the Lesche, and stick the VBP 570 in... it's close at the bottom. I take out another inch or so and I see kind something... but not what I expected. I pick it up and I'm like, "WTF? A penny? At this reading?" So it's really caked with dirt and I field clean it the best I can and it feels really different in my hand. Almost, lighter? I got enough off the face to determine it was Lincoln... but the coin is very badly deteriorated, and the date I can't make out, but I swear it's 194? On the back side, I started rubbing with some spit, and then I realize there is no memorial in the middle. I can't see wheat stocks, but no memorial. I then feel I can read what looks like UNITED STATES in the MIDDLE of the coin and I'm like, WOOOOOHHOOOOO!!!




I come home, run it under the tap, take a paper towel to it, and sure enough, on the left side of the back of the coin you can make out the wheat! MY FIRST WHEATIE!!!! I'm super psyched and once I half realized it at the fields, I just left to come back and verify.

Super sweet! Bout time I found one! Now I don't feel so bad having 2400 posts and no straw!


UPDATE: Turns out to be a 1946 Wheat Penny.

No comments: