Monday, January 26, 2009

Weekly World Coin Post: ISRAEL

This week I have chosen, with a request by a reader, to highlight the coins I have from Israel. I currently have two friends visiting Israel, so I'm hoping to be able to land a few older coins from the land of the old testament.


Pictured above are samples of the different coins I have. I currently have roughly $40 USD in coins from Israel, all added up from the denominations you see above. This is all reform coinage, and is from 1985 or newer. In the image I decided to show one coin from each of the denominations I have, obverse and reverse.


100 Agorat = 1 New Sheqel = $0.25 USD (at time of post).


From left to right:


2005 10 New Sheqalim Aureate-Bronze Center w/ Nickel-Steel Ring 22.5mm
2006 10 Agorat Aluminum-Bronze 22mm
Unknown Date 5 New Sheqalim Copper-Nickel 24mm
Unknown Date 1 New Sheqel Nickel-Clad Steel 17.97mm
Unknown Date 1/2 New Sheqel Aluminum-Bronze 25.95mm


It's helpful to note that many of the smaller denomination coins also have "Hanukka" versions where there is a very small menorah on the coin in between the word "Hanukka" in both English and Hebrew. You'll also notice that because of the religious divide in the country, the coins have both Hebrew and Arabic text.


For more information on current Israeli currency, please follow THIS LINK.

No comments: