Saturday, August 23, 2008

Pizza From Scratch, My Way!


So last night, during shift I had pondered in my head making a pizza. We have a guy on the ship, the Chief Engineer, Anders, who makes pizza for the crew maybe once a week or so. It's pretty decent, but it's nothing to write home about. Usually topped with Pepperoni and/or Sausage, and no sauce, and a mediocre crust.

Everyone on the ship loves my Calzones I make using my very own Parmesan Oregano bread, so I thought of using that as a pizza crust. And using some techniques I learned from Pizza Hut back in the day when i worked there in High School, I came up with a game plan.

Pizza Dough

1 1/4 c. Warm Water
3 c. Flour
2 tsp. Yeast
1 tsp. Salt
2 tbsp. Sugar
1 tbsp. Milk Powder
1/2 c. Grated Parmesan
1/2 c. Dried Oregano

Sauce

1 can Tomato Sauce
1/2 c. Grated Parmesan
1/2 c. Dried Oregano
1/8 c. Garlic Powder
1 tbsp. Black Pepper

Other

Mozzarella String Cheese
Grated Mozzarella
Sliced Pepperoni

Mix all of the dough ingredients together right away, no need to let dough sit and rise. It will see sort of dry and crumbly, but thats what you want. You'll want to roll it out to maybe 1/8" thick in a long rectangle shape, like the size of a cookie sheet. After it nice and long and flat, with a fork make holes all over the crust... don't ask me why, but it helps, haha.

The next part is great if you have string cheese, otherwise grated will work. Using mozzarella, line them up along the outer edge, stretch the dough and fold it over the cheese, pushing down on the inner part to seal it. Do this all the way around.

Take only a few spoons of sauce and spread in a thin layer all over the inner portion of the crust. You can add more as you like, I just prefer less. Top that with a nice layer of grated mozzarella, then top with sliced pepperoni (or whatever else you want).

Then lightly brush the crust with olive oil, and sprinkle extra garlic powder and oregano.

Cook @ 350 for roughly 10 mins, or until crust is firm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe.. sounds great!