Saturday, August 9, 2008

From The Archive: Night Hunt 8-8-08

This day started off early actually, but ended up as a night hunt. I had originally planned on being out at my sister's house in Carrollton, VA in Isle of Wight County. I did actually go there, but my first hour in her very large back yard, which used to be a chicken farm quite some time, yielded nothing but a few pieces of can slaw.

That much was expected, as the land her house was recently built on has been used quite often for party bonfires, so there is a lot of your standard buried cans and black ashes just below the top layer of dirt... which btw was rock hard!

I saw a clearing in the tree line that seemed to lead down to the creek. So I hunted a little through there, and only found two 12g shot shell bottoms.

Being that it was getting close to dinner time, I had to drive back home to get read for Rancho Grande. After getting home from our weekly hajj to the Mexican place for dinner with the family, we got home ohhhh say around 9pm. Got the lil one in bed, tended the hamsters (yes I have pets now, WOO!) and the g/f was busy watching Law & Order.

It was almost 10pm before I got my stuff together and headed towards the spot at the school I mentioned the day before where I left all of that stuff to dig another day. Little did I know I'd end up digging nearly 100 targets, and 2 hours was over before I knew it.

What is amazing, is with digging the 64 coins in that area... THERE IS STILL MORE LEFT!!! Lots of 32s and 36s left to bring up (pennies and dimes).



I found my first Sac $1, which I was totally stoked about. No coins older than a 1967 Memorial Penny... which is sooo lame. Over the past two nights digging near 80 pennies you'd figure I was due for a wheat.

I've brought in exactly 100 coins in each of the two previous months... so bringing in 89 coins in three days is pretty sweet for me!

No comments: