Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hurricane Watch: GUSTAV Comin' Right At Us

I know I haven't really discussed much about my occupation here on the blog, but now is as good a time as any. I work for WesternGeco, which is the seismic exploration arm for Schlumberger Oilfield Services. My job consists of doing seismic surveys throughout the oceans of our planet. In doing so, we must plan and react to all natural phenomena that may impact the quality of our job, as well as the safety of those we work with.

Two days ago, the NHC started projected what they believe will become Hurricane Gustav. As of 2pm today, their project path of the next few days has it coming at us like a point blank gunshot. As you can see in the image above, if we were to stay where we currently are (around 27N 89W), we've get get run over by the storm.

So tomorrow morning we are packing up our gear and headed West towards Texas along with our mother vessel, the Western Neptune. Hopefully, all goes well.

No comments: