Saturday, August 9, 2008

From The Archive: WWII Pin! 8-9-08


Being the weekend, the g/f wanted to go over to her parents house in Chesapeake for the day and hit up their pool... so we did. Her mom had once asked me to bring my MD over to try and find their property line pin that was in the ground, so I thought, what the hey, I'll bring it with me. I did end up finding it, it was about an 8" long metal rod that was down about 6" and rang up as a penny.

For s & g's I decided to just scan around the front a bit to see what might pop up. The first was a 1962 Memorial penny about 4 inches down, not far from the driveway. Her mom was pretty stoked to see how accurate the MD was, and how I hit it and dug it with precision. It was nice only digging three holes for the day and getting something out of each.

The next beep rang as a 32, and I was like, sweet, maybe this will be my wheat penny or something... but I found something even cooler. It came out and I immediately identified it as being military, but I didn't recognize the insignia... the g/f's mom had no clue. So a brief search online and I found it as being a WWII USAAC insignia, but could only find the Officer's version w/o the disk. And then I came across it, after about 15 minutes of searching, it is indeed the Enlisted disk version of the lapel insignia for AAC guys... very cool and easily my oldest find.

These two are examples from the web of both the Officer pin, and the Enlisted disk.



Oh, and USAAC for those who don't know is the US Army Air Corps.

No comments: