Thursday, October 16, 2008

Rumors, New Guy, and new equipment

I went out on watch about 15 minutes early today. I was up and didn't have anything better to do, so I figure I'd give the port cop a break and left him out a little early. First thing I notice is that everything is wet. I ask him if it rained or if it's the humidity and he said yeah, the dew dropped. Even the log paper had that damp feeling to it. That's cool, so I set up all my stuff the way I like it and do my thing, logging in all the OIS guys... most of which by now I know their names and faces. After about half an hour, the fog rolls in, and not just a little. Thick ass London style fog! I snapped a pic of the Skandi Neptune as she was pulling away this morning, hardly visible through all the fog. From what I hear, one of our container source vessels, the Kylie Williams is supposed to be parking over there in the next day or so.

Around 715am a guy comes out from the accommodations that I don't recognize. He comes over to me and introduces himself as Dave. I was like, "Ooooohhhh right, the new handler?" He said yeah, and I asked him when he came in last night, because according to the bunk layout, he's supposed to be in my room. But they put him upstairs so I'm still going solo down here in the dungeon, haha. He's a cool guy, another American (that makes three of us on here now!) and he just came over from the Kylie Williams as a matter of fact.

So we'd had these guys from Odim up in Canada here installing some new hardware on our boat. It's called a MVP, or Moving Vessel Profiler. It's a machine that drags a probe in the water behind our ship, at varying depths and it gives us back specs for many aspects of the water column. I'm not going to get into it any more than that, but it's pretty neat. We got some hands on training today to learn how to deploy and recover the device. So that brings me to well... me! Having this new handling guy, as well as the maritime crew maybe getting someone new, and a few Odim guys staying on board for testing... I was going to be moved to a much bigger boat, one of our streamer boats, the Western Neptune for a week, week and half or so. Wasn't relishing the idea, but I do what I'm told so it wouldn't have been a big deal, and from what I know, the crew coming on is a good crew to work with anyhow. But as it all turns out, only 2 Odim guys are probably coming along, and I'll get to stay here, yay!

I did get out and take some pics, so check 'em out. The Boa Sub C made a return as is now parked next to us!

Super foggy morning.



Mark from Odim working on the MVP.

"Potable Water my ass!"


Creepy little spider I found.


"... and a bottle of Faygo!" Gay ass ICP drink.


Helicopter flying over the dock.


Another helicopter I snapped from off in the distance.


Dead pelican we found floating in the water this afternoon.


People fishing.


These people have been here fishing damn near everyday.








Neat Jeep I got got a pic of with the Boa Sub C in the background.


Boa Sub C



No comments: