Sunday, August 8, 2010

Olde Town Arvada


This afternoon I decided to do a little research on the net in one of the other towns close by... Arvada. They have just as much, if not more history than Golden, and I hoped to pick out a silver coin from one of the two spots I had chosen.



First up was Lawrence Elementary on the corner of Grandview & Zephyr. My research told me that this used to be the spot of the first Arvada High School. They still had a nice grassy field in the back, and it seemed a logical place to hunt. But as it is around here, I definitely was not the first to the punch. I scrambled around and found a little over $0.30 at best. But I did land this sweet Colossus X-Men action figure and a very small Apple charm with an American flag theme :)




I was actually kind of let down at this point. Such a great spot, been mulled over time and time again I'm sure, but sheesh, throw me a bone here. I made it down to the corner of Ralston & Upham were from what I found out, was located the first park in Arvada, McIlvoy Park. So named from the man Dennis McIlvoy who deeded the city his property upon his death and they turned it into a park. His home is now the meeting place of the Arvada Historical Society... so I was kind of reluctant to get out and hunt the park. But I did without issue.



I sort of meandered along. The only "older" looking trees were in the strip between the park and the street, and those didn't produce. The two large trees in the middle of the park held promise, but that soon faded. I was able to score an above ground $0.50 cent pocket spill made up of a quarter, two dimes and five pennies.



I was able to nudge out a little more clad and ended up with 34 coins @ $1.96 on the day... which some say isn't too bad for two locations that have been pounded.


No comments: