Monday, July 5, 2010

Mystery Coin Reproduction


A friend in the Navigation on my boat from Malaysia saw me looking at some coin finds at American Detectorist and said he found a coin on his plane coming to the states at the beginning of June.

He brought it down and I started the search. The text on the coin reads:

MONETA DOMINORVM PRVSSIE
HONOR MAGRI IVDICIVM DILIGIT

Latin sure, but I can't translate it and no luck online. I found references to some deutch coinage from the 1300s with the same text and same coin design, you can see them in these pics.



This coin is gold in color, and 28.18mm in diameter according to my electronic calipers, and 1mm thick. It has a smooth edge.

I told him moneta is money, prvssie is sweet, and dominorvm is like a dominating lady, haha... so it's a hooker token from Germany... he thought it was funny I know that's not what it is... maybe someone can find some better info?

It's definitely a reproduction, and new'ish.

UPDATE: Perhaps a modern token for the German Order of The Teutonic Knights?

UPDATE #2: Dan, a buddy of mine from the MD circles things maybe the inscription translates as follows:

MONETA DOMINORVM PRVSSIE = MASTER OF PRUSSIA
HONOR MAGRI IVDICIVM DILIGIT = HE ADVISES TO BE LORD

UPDATE #3: Possibly a better translation from a German source of the text?

MONETA DOMINORVM PRVSSIE = Money of Prussian Lords
HONOR MAGRI IVDICIVM DILIGIT = The honour of the master loves justice

2 comments:

leanne said...

I came across your post trying to find out more about a coin I have which was given to me by my dad (who didnt know it was there) in a Polish money pouch. Mine is basically the same, minor design differences and the text is also slightly different. Did you ever work out what they were?

leanne said...

I came across your post after trying to research a very similar coin which I found after my father gave me a Polish 'money pouch'... unfortunately I left them in there and forgot about it for awhile until one of the coins popped up. Seems my children got to in and have used them as play money... at this point I can not find the pouch or the other coins to find out if they were all exactly the same or not. Mine has slightly different graphics and writing.