Sunday, July 4, 2010

Jesse James' Treasure Story


So today a buddy on the boat comes into my office to chat, bored as usual. He asks what I've been up to all night and I tell him about some ghost towns I'm researching and thinking about hitting up with my metal detector.

This sets off a chain reaction that leads to a brief mention of the History Channel show near the end of 2009 about Jesse James' hidden treasure. So he goes on to tell me a story of his from back in the mid 1980's.

"Grandma calls me up one day, she was 88 then, so you do the math, and tells me to come over because she knows the location of where Jesse James hid some of his treasure. She lives 80 miles away, but I went anyway.

So I show up there and deal with the normal visiting Grandma pleasantries when she finally get around to it. She points off in the distance at a table top plateu and asks me if I know of a certain landmark near the base of the plateu. I told her that yes I did. She says go to it, then look due east. About a quarter mile down the hill you'll see a small pond. When you get to the pond, look to the north... then turn around."

At this point my friend says he wondered why she didn't just say look to the south, but anyhow...

"She says I would see a small outcropping of rocks and a cave, sure as shit she was right. I go over to the cave and crawl in, it's not very big at all. There are no markings on the walls or even on the outside on the rocks. I left feeling a little defeated. Up to this point Grandma's dream was spot on. On the way back to town I thought to myself, I should pick up a metal detector and head back there. About five days later I did, metal detector in hand. I fire it up and all over the place the thing is beeping like crazy... so I start digging.

Effing horseshoes. I found a cache of horseshoes! Probably more than fifty, but not many more than that.

I get back to Grandma's and tell her what I find and her only reaction is that JJ must of let that story leak somehow to protect the real location... and then proceeded to call him a bastard."

I don't doubt one bit his story is true, he's an Okie... they don't lie HAHA!

No comments: