Tuesday, October 27, 2009

All day hunt, two locations with two buddies

It was another late night last night, not sure why, guess insomnia just setting in. But I woke up at 645am to get ready with all my gear, and to drop the kitten off at the vet to get spayed and de-clawed. Poor kitty.


After that I still had two hours before it was time to meet up in Portsmouth with Hollis (foreverRich on FMDF), so I swung by McDonald's for the first time in forever to eat breakfast. By the time I was finished I headed out to the Portsmouth Rec Center (used to be the old Cradock High School) and was now an hour early for the meet, but decided to start a bit early.



By the time Hollis showed up at 930am I was already a dollar deep in clad. I was pretty hopeful when my first coin hit was a 5" deep quarter... a '65, so close. After exchanging a few words for a few minutes we both went on our way, staying relatively near the football field. I worked all the way around the near side by the tot lot towards the road, then down next to the sidewalk on the street (George Washington Hwy). I dug my fair share of trash, and by the time I was leaving around 11am I hand wrangled up 36 coins @ $3.32.




I left and headed home to clean up a bit, get some dry gloves, and grab a bite to eat. Hollis stayed behind and ended up scoring a '51-S Rosie... good for him!



After brewing up a pot of coffee to take a cup for the road, I made it out to Lakewood Park in Norfolk. From what I had heard from some old timers I was pretty sure this was one of the bigger parks that gets hammered by hobbyists. I was meeting dfxing virginia from FMDF here shortly, and as usual, started a bit early while he was in route.



In the trees above I scored a wheat, my only "old" coin for the day. I was all over this park. Recent silver finds from this location include various silver dimes and even a 1700s 1/2 Reale! I was really hoping to land something good. My last bit of hunting at the park, I managed to swing the coil a bit through the wooded trails in the rear of the park, and then down at the small "beach" which is accessible through the treeline. Actually scored a few state quarters in those spots.



My buddy was hitting coins few and far between until he managed to nail a '50-D Rosie not far from where where he landed a few other silvers in the past.



We spent the last hour and half hitting randomly in a street median and behind a school, not amounting to much. Before we left the park we saw another guy just suiting up to swing for a bit before dark... wonder if he found anything? But it was a nice day of hunting, be it chilly and wet all day. Ended this half of the day with 49 more coins @ $3.49 and a Chuck-E-Cheese token.



No comments: