Sunday, July 26, 2009

Metal Detector PC Games

Being out of the game for 6 months of the year I've been looking at outlets to metal detecting related activities. This has drawn me to the world of PC gaming. I search all over the net for different games and have found 3 of which I'd like to share with you, and hope to give you a little something to do on those cold winter months where your favorite hunting grounds have turned to perma-frost.


Treasure Fields



Originally released in 2002 by Terry Bullard this easy to use, basic software package should easily burn up a few hours of your time. The game is based around basic coin shooting. It boasts having nearly every US coin minted hidden under the "ground" waiting for you to dig.


I started by downloading the FREE trial version of the software. The approximately 9.8MB .zip file can be downloaded by clicking HERE.



After installing it using all the default options, I was ready to start up the game. Sadly, though loaded with options I think the game is brutally cumbersome. You start off with a budget and must purchase a machine and other MD related tools from Al's Discount Detectors. After which you have to manually choose the equipment you wish to "equip" with you on any given hunt. This includes machine, coil, digger etc.





You then start your hunt by entering a tournament, which from the outset gives yo ua description and then subtracts an entrance fee.



I had purchased a Tesoro Lobo, and Lesche, so I was out to hunt. You use the mouse and just drag across the field listening for the different sounds. It has all sorts of different tones and sounds, I'm guessing which might be authentic to the model? Anyway, pinpointing is pretty spot on, you dig, get the goods, and refill your hole. Always remember to refill your hole!!!



The game also keeps track of all your finds broken down by face value.



All in all, I stick to what I initially said, it's a neat idea... but I think the execution could have been way better. Be sure to read all of the keyboard commands as they will really make or break the game for you. If you enjoy it, please visit Mr. Bullard's site HERE and contact him for a full copy with all the updates to really get the most out of the game.


Minimum Requirements
Windows 95+
16MB HDD Space


 


Treasure Hunter



From the creators of my favorite MD cataloging software, i-Detect (their link is in my sidebar), comes this completely free metal detecting game that really is fun to play!


Ginkgoware's DFX Treasure Hunter really looks the part of a capable MD simulation, and has a few neat options... but sadly, like the real thing, it can get aggravating.


This game is straight forward and does not have you going to many screens to accomplish a task. After you install the game, and load one of the two maps available for download, it's basically turn on the DFX (which only lets you hunt in factory coin mode) and go. The machine hits on target just like the DFX, so really, for any user of an XLT, DFX or MXT, you should feel right at home. The big downside to this game is pinpointing. It's enough to make you want to cry. Tips are offered on the company site, but they didn't help me much. I ended up digging foot deep craters and coming up empty handed.




The game is worth a shot. The install file is only 4.8MB and the maps are even smaller. To check them out, please click HERE.


Minimum Requirements
Windows 98+
DirectX 8.1+
500 MHz CPU


Treasure Valley


The last game is one I know nothing about. Being out here on the boat I can't play "online" games, and well, Treasure Valley stay connected to the internet to play. There is a FREE Demo version of the game, but you must register for it with a valid email address. If you want to check it out, click HERE.


The game is a 3D first person type MD game, and the screenshots look pretty impressive. But as I said, I have no experience with the game, and at this time cannot comment any further on it.


If any of you readers out there take the time to give it a whirl, I'll gladly post your review here in place of the few words I have to say about it.


Minimum Requirements
Windows XP+
2.0 GHz CPU
512 MB RAM
DirectX
Internet Connection

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jim,

Thnak you for mentioning my game Treasure Valley. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to check it out first hand (it needs the internet to keep all of the database stuff)

I do have a new version coming out in the fall of 2009 that I'm very excited about, so please when you get time check it out.

Thanks again,

vpone

gwilliam said...

niced blog.i liked it!

KC said...

Jim,

Thanks for the review of our Treasure Hunter game. It does seem like a workable/fun game would be popular in the winter with snow bound detectorists. We are currently working on a Flash detecting game and may need a few beta testers if you're interested.

Thanks
Kevin
Ginkgoware