Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Trip to TX

Figured I'd update any and everyone on how the trip to TX went. Simply put, it was a great time... but I'll get more specific than that.

At 6am on Nov. 20th, Ash and I caught started the journey. By 1045a we had landed in Dallas/Ft. Worth. My parents picked us up and off to Uncle Julio's for some fine Mexican cuisine in Ft. Worth. It was pretty yummy, very fresh tasting. A little pricey as far as I'm concerned for Mexican food, but it was good.

After that we drove down by where the new Cowboy's stadium is STILL under construction... and then made our way home... to Granbury.

The next morning we woke up late, and then headed over to the beach at Lake Granbury to get in some MD time. You can see my post from Nov 26th for more info on that.
It was really just to waste time while waiting for the 2:30p showing of the new Disney Pixar movie, Bolt. Which, if you have the opportunity to see, was pretty sweet. Rhino the Hamster makes the movie!



After filling up on popcorn, candy and soda... it was time to make it back home. My Dad was off to the DFW area to watch High School footballs playoffs, so we just went home and fizzled out. The plan was to hit up CiCi's Pizza after for food, but the movie snacks had canceled those plans. After recovering a few hours later, we were hungry. And much to my surprise, my mom shuttled us over to Hammond's BBQ in Glen Rose. MY FAVORITE #1 BBQ place EVER! Nothing like brisket perfection, fried okra, and drinks out of a mason jar!

The next morning, Saturday I believe, we all woke up early and made it to a local diner called The Firehouse. Their country fried steak and eggs is the only place that rivals IHOPs version in my opinion. Anyhow, it was our yummy breakfast before heading out to Arlington and spending the majority of the day at Six Flags Over Texas.

We had a great time at Six Flags. Since we were there when it opened we were able to ride pretty much every roller coaster in just a few short hours. We met some cartoon characters, had a half decent lunch, and bought a supergirl cape, haha.







We left the park about an hour and a half before it closed. After riding all the coasters and wandering around, didn't see much use in staying just to stay. So since I guess we had time to kill on the way home, my dad took us by the Ft. Worth Stock Yards... were sadly, there was no cattle to see. But it was neat walking around the shops and stuff.



The next day was a lazy day. We drove over to Cleburne and had lunch with my Grandad. It was good seeing him. Twice in one year is a new record for me.

Monday morning, we started our 3.4-4 hour journey down to San Antonio. It was a long, boring ride. Nothing exciting to report on the way down. We stayed at the Drury Plaza Hotel which has a River Walk entrance. It was a nice place. Room was big, had WiFi (which I used to download a few movies, hehe) and they gave 3 complimentary cocktails for each person per day. What's not to like!? We spent the rest of the day checking out The Alamo, the River Walk, Ripley's Odditorium and Louis Tusaud's Wax Mueseum. We also made the rounds at the River Center Mall.







Our last full day in TX and we were headed off to Austin, the state capitol. We spent about an hour at the capitol building, where we got lots of neat pics. Then made it north to Round Rock near the Dell Diamond baseball field to eat a BBQ place my buddy Shane, who lives in Austin, recommended. I rated it maybe #3 on my list.





And there you have it. That was pretty much our trip to TX. Can't wait to do it again in a few months, maybe when it's baseball season again. Hope you all enjoyed the story and pics!

No comments: