Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turkey Day Swingin'

Ahhh Thanksgiving... not really one of my favorite holidays, but whatever. The morning started off hectic, running around trying to get milk and garlic before heading of to the g/f's parents house so she could make the mashed potatoes before it was time to eat. In all that mess, I took the time out to swing the MD in the front and back yard.

Right outta the gate a found a few pieces of trash and a '44 Wheat penny. I was pretty stoked at that point. Not even 5 minutes later I got a signal on my X30 that was jumping around between +32 and +40... so honestly, I was thinking I found some silver. But when I dug up the item, about 4 inches down... to my surprise it looked like a button. But not just any button. I've been doing this long enough now to recognize an older military button... it was just trying to find out how old.

As you can see from the image below, the front of the button shows an eagle with an anchor, and 13 stars. What you can't see on the back, is that it reads, Benedict & Coe... which was what the Waterbury Co (known to make old military buttons) was known as from 1829-1832. And the style matches that of an 1830s Federal Navy Button. Amazing!!!!



Other than this great find, I found 2 more Wheats, a '44 and a '52, along with a bunch of clad.

After that, it was off to my uncle Dan's for TDAY #2.

No comments: