Monday, May 4, 2009

Weekly World Coin Post: DENMARK



Ahh Denmark, the land of... hmm, what is it the land of? Being the southern most Nordic country, and home to Copenhagen, the most livable city in the world! As I recall I believe they have been rated the happiest place in the world since 2006. My sister-in-law also hails from Denmark, just a side note.


I've never been here, would love to though. It's only a hop away from Norway, so maybe the next time I visit there in November I'll try and make the ferry trip over. Like all of the other Nordic countries (Iceland, Norway and Sweden), the currency is the Krone. A history of the Danish Krone can be found HERE.


TOP ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT:


1968 10 Ore Copper-Nickel 18mm | Frederick IX
1967 10 Ore Copper-Nickel 18mm | Frederick IX
1988 10 Ore Copper-Nickel 18mm | Maragrethe II
1983 10 Ore Copper-Nickel 18mm
1962 2 Ore Zinc 20.8mm | Frederick IX


BOTTOM ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT:


1960 25 Ore Copper-Nickel 23mm
1974 25 Ore Copper-Nickel 23mm
1999 50 Ore Bronze
1984 1 Krone Copper-Nickel 25.5mm | Maragrethe II
1996 2 Kroner Copper-Nickel


As you can see, anything outside of the realm of the current Queen Margrethe II and the previous King Frederick IX, I don't have. But that's okay. If you're like me and wonder what the "Heart" symbol on the coins means, apparently that is the symbol of the Danish Royal Mint. Chew on that. Other than that the coins are pretty boring; crowns, leaves and monograms, woo!

No comments: