Saturday, May 23, 2009

Machine Upgrade: White's Spectrum XLT

It's been about a year now since I've really gotten into the hobby. Granted I bought my first machine, a Garrett ACE 250 about three years ago, I just never really used it. After a month or two seriously using the machine and digging, I bought my Minelab X-Terra 30, which has become my workhorse.



I've really learned the X-Terra 30, and finally have it set up so that when I go out, I know I'm doing my best at being able to find what's hidden in the ground. That being said, those two machines are generally regarded as being in the beginner class, even though the X30 is roughly $400, it's still small potatoes.


With the release of the newer models from White's and Minelab, the Spectra V3 and the E-Trac respectively, I've been feeling lately I may be really behind the curve in technology and finding the really good stuff. I had been thinking about a White's MXT for a few months now. I know many people who use it, and use it with great success. But I could never really find one in the range of money I wanted to spend.



That all changed when I came across a used White's XLT recently. The price was well below what I would actually have given for it. A brand new E series XLT goes for upwards of $900 these days. The Spectrum series XLT I picked up, new, could still easily land $700. But I got it for less than half that, mostly by accident.



Now with the new machine at my fingers, I feel I'm going to have to re-learn the hobby. These higher end White's units have so many customizable options for making the machine perform at its peak, that I just don't know where to begin. But hey, I think it was a great investment, and hopefully one that will last a few years until the next best thing comes out.

No comments: