Thursday, April 16, 2009

Larchmont Norfolk = Gold, Silver!!!


Two days ago I messaged my sister-in-law, Maria, on Facebook and asked if she would mind me metal detecting at her and my brother's place in the Larchmont area of Norfolk. She had no problem with it, lucky me!


Back in the early 1900's, Larchmont was being marketed as Norfolk's ONLY high class suburb. It was until a few years later that it really starting being developed... but a residential neighborhood circa 1915-1920 should produce some goodies... shouldn't it? For a history on the area I hunted, please follow THIS LINK.


Anyhow, I finally showed up around 1030a... I know I know, and yes I feel fine. And no, I didn't burst into flames from the sunlight. They can't all be night hunts, haha.


I geared up and got started right away. Just a minute or two in, BAM, first target is a wheat penny. That can only be a good sign. I swung around the front yard and didn't pull much more than a few memorials and a handful of wheats. One thing about the front yard, I could only really efficiently hunt the half closest to the house. The portion closer to the road, was overhung by power lines and they were driving the X30 nuts.



Anyhow, after 30 minutes bringing home the wheat in the front, I started toward the back. But before making it there I got a nice sharp +36, either a dime, or maybe silver. Turned out to be silver, the Sterling type. It was a small Jewish Torah pendant.



Just like the front, memorials and wheats popping regularly... that is until I nail a sweet sound just beyond the hammock... turned out to be a 1945 Silver Quarter, woo! First one of those I've ever dug. But that spot wasn't done. A few inches over I pull a 1949 Nickel and a 1943 P War Nickel, WOO!




It wasn't until about 20 minutes later that I landed another sweet moment, with my second Mercury Dime for the year, this one a '44. You see a trend? Lots of mid 40's coins going around.



I spent the next hour and a half going back and forth front to back. Landed a few costume type rings in the process. Each ringing in at a +20. On the fourth +20 signal I got, I was surprised to pull out an engraved 12KGP bracelet. It reads O F Midgette on the front, then has Midge engraved on the reverse. Pretty neat, and if GP counts, it's my first gold item I have found... WOOOOOO! From a brief glance on Google, Midgette seems to be a popular last name in Norfolk, no direct hits on the O F though.




I also found a small 14mm (aluminum) Crimland "10" Play Coin. Not too much on the internet about it, if you know something, please leave a comment.



Well that's about it, I'll leave you with the rest of the pics from today!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want my half!!! :-)