Saturday, February 7, 2009

Old School Hunt

About a week and half ago, in researching local schools, I mentioned a much older school in my area. It beats other school sites I've been hunting by at least 100 years. Well today I had scheduled my visit.

Being that the school is in a very unpopulated part of Virginia Beach, me being there would definitely be noticed. So I went the route of securing permission from the Principal during the week, and he said it was cool and that he'd let the attached public library know so it wouldn't arise any suspicion.

I didn't remember the pictures of the school I had seen before, so I decided to head around back and was kind of blown back at all the area there was to cover. So I only really covered a limited area, and didn't find all that much. The majority of my finds were limited to numerous old pop and food cans that kept ringing up as dimes and quarters, but solid.

The place was littered with deeper "iffy" signals that I decided to not pay much attention to today. Of course the consensus is that those are what I should really be targeting. Any way, I did land a 1952 Wheat penny, second of the year, an old spoon... and two pieces of a buried desk that was hitting loud and proud at 8 inches.

These first three images are in succession of the school starting in 1839, then 1908, and again in 1939.

And here is the school today, along with my finds.


No comments: