Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hit Up a Few Lakewood Parks

Started off the morning quite abruptly with an early wake up and getting the smoker ready for the two pounds brisket I had marinating all night. Come to find out, not enough coals, so had to make a quick run to the store to grab some more with just an hour left before Troy was meeting me at the house.



With the meat smoking, we grabbed some joe and headed out to our first haunt of the day, Morse Park off of 20th in Lakewood, CO. The hunt started off quite promising, I was up over a dollar within the first 30 feet of my starting point landing two, two stacked penny hits as well as a $0.45 spill consisting of one nickel and four dimes.



The park was plenty busy with a few dozen people playing tennis, part of some club I'd assume.My last dig of the park was a neat little FILA Pisces pendant and ended up with $1.68 across 44 coins.




Stop number two was O'Kane park off of 1st St. in Lakewood. This park is really big. It had two huge sports field that you'd think would be ripe for the picking. Sadly, the pickins' were slim here, but I did manage 3 recently dropped RTD tokens along with $0.89 over 14 coins.




The last stop was a small out of the way park in Lakewood off of Garrison called Holbrook Park. This park had a lot of odd-shaped area to cover. We started on the far end of the park near some old looking trees, but we really fell short on the finds here. My first decent signal ended up being this Armitron All Sport watch, probably a couple years old since it doesn't match any of the newer models.

Troy was having some issues with falsing and possibly some EMI, and after I had dug $1.02 over 6 coins, one dig being a double-quarter spill, we packed it up for the day and headed home.

Finished the day with some awesome brisket, baked beans, mashed potatoes, and the 2011 NFL Draft. I'll leave you with a pic of the days haul, including Troy's take.




The following is a cool find Troy had of what appeard to be a little stamped piece of aluminum with Arabic script on it. I could only read the numbers, which read 1213, and converted come out to about 1798/9. A member of FMDF came back to say that the writing appears to say "Minted in Misr (which is Egypt) 1213 (this is the AH year)" and that it's a "It's a copy of an Ottoman empire coin. Most of my Ottoman coins are bronzes, I think that the Misr mint would have been easier for the copier to make than the Constantinople mint"

1 comment:

Khaled Faroun said...

Hello,
I found the same coin as this one with the same minting and the same year. It seems to be bronze. How valuable is it?