Thursday, May 22, 2008

From The Archive: CHX Beach 5-22-08

I remember this day pretty well for one main reason, it completely turned me off to beach hunting. I was new at this whole MD thing so I guess I kind of went out there expecting a lot more than I was capable of finding.

So first off, I met up with my friend Denise. She and I drove out to a section of Chix Beach, a few blocks from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. I figured right away, being that this is nowhere near the resort section, my finds would be meager at best.

I scanned a little dry sand at first, but nothing was hitting. So then I took my ACE over to the water's edge, as if I had any clue what I was doing. I received so many false signals (which I didn't know until I dug) and other crap signals I had no clue what was going on. It was not until much later on in my MD experience that I found out about turning the sensitivity down, and that the ACE is not made for wet sand portions of beach so I would be driven nuts.

But anyhow, I spied some volleyball net poles, and decided before I left I was definitely going to hunt that area. So while Denise was walking around picking up shells and talking to random strangers on the beach, I scanned the pit. Ended up walking away with what you see pictured at the top of this post.

1 x Nail
1 x Screw
1 x Some sort of anchoring attachment
8 x Bottle Caps
1 x little metal round thingie
3 x Pull tabs
9 x Pennies (1980, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 1 x Unknown)
2 x Nickels (1998, 2007)
4 x Dimes (1990, 2001, 2 x 2005)

$0.83... but I guess along with the rest of the digs, the day wasn't too shabby.

No comments: